Friday, March 6, 2009

Etcetera Gourmet Food Shoppe: A Daniel Island treasure

Nino and I decided to stay close to home today and try one of the establishments on Daniel Island. And we were not disappointed when we ventured into Etcetera Gourmet Food Shoppe.

The small lunch spot and grocery is located along the main road in Daniel Island. It looks like any other restaurant from the outside. Walking in the door, it struck me that this was an unusual spot for the Charleston area (and probably South Carolina as a whole). A light filled deli with a few bistro tables scattered where they could squeeze them in. The store is lined with shelves of gourmet foodstuffs from around the world, primarily from the Mediterranean.

The cheerful staff serves up sandwiches, salads, cheeses, and other gourmet delights. The menu is just long enough to give you a few options and short enough that you're convinced everything is fresh.

I had my eye on the cranberry chicken salad, but since its a Lenten Friday I chose a meatless dish instead. I opted for the smaller size Ploughman's plate. Fresh french bread slices, tangy olive oil, salty olives, dried cranberries, a nut mixture, and three cheeses of my choice. I picked an aged Manchego, brie, and idizabal. They'll pick the cheeses for you or they welcome your input. (A welcome option indeed since I know a little about cheese and most places won't let you choose.) The dish was nicely presented and tasty. There was so much on even the small plate that I couldn't finish. They offered both sweetened and unsweetened ice tea. I mention this fact because I find it's hard to get unsweetened black tea in the South.

I finished the meal with a vanilla ricotta chocolate chip cannoli. Oh baby. I like cannolis. And I'm pretty picky. Etcetera filled the fresh, crispy shell with the cream AFTER I ordered. The difference is immediate since the cream doesn't make the shell soft from sitting around waiting to be eaten. The vanilla definitely added an extra layer of sweetness that enticed my tastebuds.

Lunch isn't the only reason to stop here. Their gourmet shop stocked things even I hadn't seen before. Watermelon peach preserves from Greece anyone? The wide selection of Italian gourmet products, teas, fresh cheeses, deli meats, and delectable chocolates was pretty impressive for any area, but especially here.

Nino's lovely Italian aunt who we are has often bemoaned the lack of good Italian food stuffs in the Charleston area. (Aunt Joan was raised in New York by 100% Italian parents.) She's the one who recommended we check our Etcetera. And maybe that's about the best compliment you can get.

No comments:

Post a Comment